The University of Alberta Press publishes works by established and emerging Canadian and international authors whose scholarship enlightens our society, engages communities, and challenges boundaries. We focus on materials for scholars, citizens, and policy makers concerned with prairie, mountain, and circumpolar histories and cultures; First Nations, Métis, and Inuit studies; literary and cultural studies; environmental studies; and Petrocultures. We also publish poetry, short stories and creative nonficiton.
If you are ready to submit now, click here.
Before submitting a scholarly monograph to the University of Alberta Press, please review our Author Handbook: Submissions.
Your proposal should contain:
- A cover letter that includes a brief description of the project, its anticipated length, your timeline for completion, and your complete contact information (name, address, telephone number, e-mail, and fax if any).
- Your current curriculum vitae or résumé, including citizenship and previous publications.
- A five- to ten-page description of the project that addresses the questions outlined in the points below.
- A brief description of the content and focus of the book.
- Primary audience and market. In particular, if the book is intended for instructional use, please indicate this.
- Length of proposed publication; illustrations; scholarly apparatus, etc.
- Background of the project.
- A table of contents.
- Two sample chapters.
To submit a proposal for a scholarly manuscript, click here.
If you have not heard back from us within one week, please contact us again to make sure we have received your submission.
The University of Alberta Press also publishes creative writing by Canadian authors in the Robert Kroetsch Series, as well as creative nonfiction:
- Poetry: The University of Alberta Press accepts poetry manuscripts between September 1 and October 31 each year. At the end of the submission period, the Press will select up to three manuscripts per year for publication.
To submit a poetry manuscript, click here.
- Short fiction: Please submit a one-page synopsis of the book and up to three stories as a sample.
To submit a short fiction manuscript, click here.
- Nonfiction: The Wayfarer Series publishes books of literary travel. Submissions should be accompanied by a synopsis, table of contents, and no more than 50 pages of sample material from the manuscript.
To submit a creative nonficiton manuscript, click here.
- We do not publish novels.
- Thursday, October 17, 2019
- Katz Allard Family Lecture Theatre (Room 1-080), University of Alberta
Thursday, October 17, 2019, 5pm
- Patricia A. Whelan Performance Hall, Central Library
Friday, October 18, 2019, 6pm
- Octopus Books, 116 Third Ave, Ottawa, ON K1S 2K1, Canada
Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 7pm
- 10702 Jasper Avenue
Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 7pm
- Yellowhead Brewery, 10229 105 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 1E3, Canada
Friday, October 25, 2019, 7pm
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 7pm
- The Bike Shop Cafe, Kelowna, BC
Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 5pm
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 3pm
- Friday, February 14, 2020, 1pm