HardbackCAD10.50GBP5.99USD10.50Out of printIn this radical examination of psychological and philosophical theories of perception, M.D. Faber synthesizes significant aspects of both. Treating such diverse subjects as mysticism, economics, epistemology, politics and the rearing of children, Faber links innovative psychoanalytic concepts to the mainstream of modern philosophical thought.
- In ancient Roman times rituals were performed to sanctify the ground on which new cities were founded. With this invocation, space could then be occupied. In her brilliant new collection, Alice Major's poems concern themselves with human occupation: how we occupy cities; how we occupy ourselves as citizens, workers and thinkers; how we occupy mythologies and metaphors; and how we occupy the passage of our lives. Written largely in a public voice, these poems invoke human preo... [READ MORE]
PaperbackCAD29.95GBP16.50USD29.95Out of printNo description
Electronic book textCAD19.99GBP19.99USD19.99In this ambitious long poem, Alice Major exemplifies the redemptive force of story. Through the light-hearted interplay of such literary touchstones as Chaucer, The Thousand and One Nights, and Greek myth, readers meet receptionist Aphrodite, Sheherazad in PR, and Pandora, expectant grandmother from accounting, who gather to share tales during coffee breaks from their male-dominated engineering firm. Literary pilgrims, lovers of narrative and long forms, or fans of Major̵... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD15.00GBP8.50USD15.00Out of print
PaperbackCAD9.50GBP5.50USD9.50Out of printThis collection of leters from the early 1920s to the late 1940s by Dr. Karl A. Clark chronicles the development of the hot water separation process for producing oil from the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta.
- The novel is based on the traditional Ukrainian folk song "Oi, ne khody Hrytsiu". The tragic story of a young man torn between two women and poisoned by one of them lends itself readily to literary interpretations. But in Kobylianska's interpretation, this is far more than a melodramatic love story with a predictable ending. It is not merely the love story of Tetiana and Hryts: it is a story of the eternal conflict between passion and reason, between personal happin... [READ MORE]
PaperbackCAD15.00GBP12.99USD15.00Out of printA series of non-technical papers on Fort Chipewyan and the Unknown Empire. Coverage focuses on the history of the area. The effects of the Peace River Dam are also discussed. Papers by: J.W. Chalmers; W.G. Laatsch; J.M. Parker; J.W. Chalmers; W.D. Knill; L.R. Gue; W.A. Fuller. Appendix by J.J. Bond. Map by G.A. Lester
- "The miracle of the preserved word, in whatever medium—print, audio text, video recording, digital exchange—means that it may transfer into new times and new places." —From the Introduction
Electronic book textCAD15.99GBP15.99USD15.99CAD15.99GBP15.99USD15.99“Make yourself big when you enter a room, when you meet a bear in the woods. Make yourself big. Meet the eyes.”
- The development of agriculture in Alberta owes much to Arnold W. Platt, who set out to plant a seed of positive change. Whether as a plant breeder, an organizer for the Farmers' Union of Alberta, or a commissioner for the McPherson Royal Commission on Transportation, Platt applied his inventive and creative thinking to problems of rural development in twentieth century Alberta. In The Ordinary Genius, Ken Hoeppner pays homage to the accomplishments of this modest man, whose l... [READ MORE]
PaperbackCAD7.50GBP4.00USD7.50Out of printThe journal of Marcel Durieux records the joys of harvesting vegetables after a winter of rice and beans, of spiritual awareness and of strong ties among the people, as well as the suffering that came from hardship, pain, loss and loneliness in pioneering the West.
MicrofilmCAD192.00GBP125.99USD192.00Out of printThis work concords all the words George Orwell used in his novels and books of reportage, and that appear in the four volume Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters, all published by Secker and Warburg, plus those in a few contributions he made to books also containing the writings of others.
HardbackCAD16.95GBP9.50USD16.95Out of print
PaperbackCAD8.50GBP4.99USD8.50Out of printGustav Hermansen provides a basis for constructive debate on the social and economic life of the Roman city of Ostia. Ostia unveils ancient social history, architecture, city planning, and community life, and is complete with extensive floor plans, photographs, and line drawings.
PaperbackCAD39.95GBP28.99USD39.95In June of 2010, the University of Alberta's Bruce Peel Special Collections Library mounted an exhibit of documents, photographs, artifacts, and ephemera which provided significant insight into Chinese pioneer life on the Canadian Prairies. Written by exhibit curator Brian Evans, the accompanying exhibit catalogue chronicles the stories of these immigrants as they welcomed new opportunities, struggled with racism, and became integral parts of the communities in which they liv... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD24.95GBP13.50USD24.95Out of print
PaperbackCAD16.95GBP9.50USD16.95Out of printThis is an essential resource for all outdoor programming agencies and leaders. Glenda Hanna examines relevant negligence law as it is applied in Canada courts of law and identifies the legally defined responsibilities of program administrators, leaders, and participants.
- A dreamer of dreams, an adventurer, and a man of many ideas, Roger Pocock was an inveterate, world-ranging traveler who lived the life that all adventurous boys desire. He listened with wonder to the stories of all those he met, be they outlaws like Butch Cassidy, ranchers, or mounted police. Readers of all ages and classes eagerly devoured Pocock's western tales. Outrider of Empire is a testament to a prolific author and extraordinary man whose friends and acquaintances brid... [READ MORE]
Electronic book textCAD27.99GBP27.99USD27.99CAD27.99GBP27.99USD27.99To date, little has been published about the place of spirituality in working with survivors of intimate partner violence. Overcoming Conflicting Loyalties examines the intersection of faith and culture in the lives of religious and ethno-cultural women in the context of the work of FaithLink, a unique community initiative that encourages religious leaders and secular service providers to work together. The authors present the benefits of such cooperation by reporting the fin... [READ MORE]